Saturday, January 03, 2009

Vegan Recipes in the News

The Loyola University Examiner published what sounds like an amazing soup from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavours from Home and Around the World (aka Vegan Planet). It's Thai Style Coconut Soup.

Yesterday, the New York Times' website featured a recipe for a vegan variation of kufteh (aka kibbeh) that sounds simple and yummy. The recipe has Aleppo pepper listed as optional. I've never used it, myself. Anyone else?

The Miami Herald also offered up a treat (albeit just before the holidays) that was vegan by chance. It's Senegalese Black-Eyed Pea Salad (Salatu Niebe). It's from Brooklyn Chef and Restaurateur Pierre Thiam's book Yolele! Recipes from the Heart of Senegal.

I hope to try the kufteh over the next few days and will post results if I get the chance.

2 comments:

Anna Graham Shonle said...

That Kufteh looks so good, and I already have most of the ingredients on hand. Thanks! I have never heard of Aleppo pepper before. I'll have to investigate that.

Anna Graham Shonle said...

I found a substitution recommendation for the Aleppo that says, "Combine four parts sweet paprika plus one part cayenne pepper", so when I make this I think I will try that instead of buying Aleppo pepper. Although I'm sure the Aleppo would be tastier!